In April, we recognize National Stress Awareness Day. Stress can exist in many places, including your social circles, workplace and romantic relationships. The impacts of this stress can negatively affect your skin, making you more susceptible to unwanted conditions.
At Facial Aesthetics, we have a range of non-surgical skin care solutions to help you look fresh and rejuvenated. Call 303-791-1820 to schedule an appointment at our Greenwood Village office, or 303-377-2868 for our Denver office.
Increases Skin Sensitivity
Stress causes a chemical response in your body, triggering inflammation and hormonal imbalances. These make your skin more prone to:
While some of our patients have naturally sensitive skin, stress can cause reactions that are much stronger and more intense than usual.
Exacerbates Skin Conditions
Stress can aggravate certain skin conditions, including:
When these conditions flare up and affect your appearance, you’re likely to feel additional stress. This creates a vicious cycle that can be difficult to stop.
Causes New or Worsening Breakouts
When your body is tense, it releases the stress hormone known as cortisol. This hormone is responsible for telling your glands to secrete oil.
Oily skin is more likely to breed blemishes, and over-the-counter methods may not be enough to target stress-induced acne. When they’re not, we suggest scheduling an appointment with us. We can recommend an in-office acne treatment or one of our professional-grade skin care products to meet your needs.
Creates Bad Skin Care Habits
Stress can overwhelm your brain and make you forget to:
- Hydrate your skin by drinking enough water
- Get enough sleep, which reduces skin inflammation
- Wash your face on a regular basis
- Use toners and moisturizers after cleansing
When your emotional state is disrupted, you may also turn to repetitive behaviors, such as picking at or constantly touching your face, to help you cope. These bad habits transfer dirt and bacteria to your face.
Even if you’re feeling stressed or anxious, don’t neglect your skin. It’s your body’s largest organ, and its health is essential to your well-being.
If you have questions about how to best care for your skin, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Tips to Minimize Your Stress
Minimizing stress is the best way to keep your skin fresh and rejuvenated. We suggest:
- Making exercise a regular part of your routine. Physical activity has numerous benefits for your body and mind.
- Taking time for yourself each day. Even if it’s only for a few minutes, find a way to unwind.
- Finding a stress management technique. Different methods work for different people. Breathing exercises, meditation and yoga are all excellent options.
- Getting enough sleep. Adults need between seven and nine hours of sleep each night.
- Setting boundaries. A fast-paced, busy lifestyle is a common cause of stress. Remember that it’s okay to say no.
- Talking to someone. Seek support from your loved ones and consider asking a professional for help managing your emotions.
While these are all good long-term answers to your stress, we know that the appearance of your skin is an immediate concern. You deserve to feel confident when looking in the mirror. If stress is affecting your skin, we can help you find a solution.
Your Denver Skin Care Consultation
To schedule your skin care consultation at Facial Aesthetics, call our Greenwood Village office at 303-791-1820 or our Denver office at 303-377-2868. We serve patients throughout the Denver area, including Castle Rock, Aurora and Littleton.