With May being Skin Cancer Awareness Month, the team at Facial Aesthetics would like to remind our readers of the importance of skin protection. In fact, our CEO and Founder, Pamela Hill, has first-hand experience of the life-threatening potential of unprotected sun exposure. In three different instances, Pamela discovered melanoma on her skin: her leg, abdomen and temple. As was the case for her, catching the cancer early is essential to successful treatment. She is happy to tell you and our other patients her story, and she believes in advocating for skin protection.
Here are a few basic tips:
- Wear sunscreen. Your daily moisturizer with SPF 15 or higher is sufficient in a typical day, but wear SPF 30 or higher if you are out hiking, paddle boarding, skiing or doing anything outside for an extended period of time. On these days, you should reapply sunscreen every 2 hours.
- Seek shade between 10 am and 4 pm. Of course these may be the very hours you are enjoying the great Colorado outdoors, but if possible, nab a spot in the shade when you can to take a break from the sun's rays when they are at their most intense.
- Create shade with the clothes you wear. Loose long sleeves, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses protect your skin and eyes from harmful UV rays.
- Check your skin regularly. New and/or changing marks, spots and discolorations on your skin should be examined by your doctor.
- Use UV-blocking skin products. At Facial Aesthetics, we offer a wide array of medical-grade skin care products that can block UV and improve your skin's quality, tone and texture.
Please click through our slide show to learn more! To arrange a consultation with our experienced Medical Aestheticians, please call Facial Aesthetics at 303-377-2868 in Denver, or 303-791-1820 in Greenwood Village.